Sesame Noodles

It's been a few days since we talked. Much has happened. My sister left our company, back to Canada. We are very sad to see her go. The boxes are finally unpacked, all that is left to do; hanging pictures, organizing, placing things here and there. I spent my last night in our new house, enjoying the company with Mr. H. While slipping away every so often to pack, throwing necessary and not-so-necessary items into my backpack - tiny hair dryer. You may be asking why I need such a tiny hair dryer, for such short hair. The problem is that I have a double cowlick in my hairline, causing an unruly tuft of hair similar to Alfalfa.

Friday morning at the crack of dawn, lucky for me I was able to see the first sunrise from our patio, I wiped the sleep from my eyes, gathered my things and made my way to the airport. Mount Rainier was is full bloom, following her beauty all the way to Sea-tac, I was pleased and delighted. After a delayed flight, leaving me missing two connections, my flights were rearranged. Two flights instead of three, things are looking up. Unfortunately, sleep deprived and a little deaf, I missed my first flight, feeling mildy embarrassed and panicked, the Air Canada rep saw the fear in my eyes, and got me onto the next direct to Toronto. Finally departing at 11:55 am, as I dream about the sleep that could have been had, I plug in my headphones and catch up on Mad Men. Slowly drifting to sleep. After all the confusion, they must have assumed that I missed my flights all together, and sold my seat on the flight from Toronto to Paris. As I stand there, feeling nothing but exhaustion, crossing my fingers that someone else to, will miss their flight. Pleased as I was, thank you thank you thank you to whoever you are, I was able to get on the flight stand-by, and also thank you to the lovely lady at the counter who saw that I was at my wits end. Three hours late, I arrive at Charles de Gaulle, delusional, 7 hours sleep in two days, but so extremely thankful to be in Paris. 

Before I left, my last night at home, I was inspired by a creation eaten two nights previous. A picnic meeting in the park with dietitians, confident that I would discover some flavorful treats, I was quickly drawn to this simple fresh salad. Bright and colorful. Each mouthful gushing with flavor as I slurp the noodles into my mouth. A few drops of sauce splash onto my glasses, a wonderful crunch from the veggies. A splash of sriracha leaves me feeling pleased. I am excited to have new flavors, a nice change from my standby, spaghetti noodles, and this sauce. I leave you with this tasty dish. Maybe you could make it for lunch, maybe for a quick supper, feeling rushed from the weeks end. Saving your leftovers and refrigerating for tomorrow lunch, you will find that this salad ages well the next day, allowing the noodles to soak up the flavors. My last Asian inspired dish before I share some French treats. I stopped by the market yesterday, returning, my arms full. Cherries, apricots, and artichokes. I love Paris.



serves 4


4 cups cooked spaghetti noodles

1 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp rice wine vinegar

1 tsp sesame oil

1/4 tsp sriracha or similar hot sauce

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tsp lime juice

1/2 red pepper, julienned

1/2 yellow pepper, julienned

1/4 cup shredded carrots

1 tsp sesame seeds, for garnish

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the spaghetti noodles and cook until al dente. Remove from the stove and drain. Run the noodles under cold water to cool them down and remove any starch. Place into a large bowl and then in the fridge to cool.

In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, sriracha, garlic, and lime juice.

Julienne the red and yellow peppers. Shred the carrots, or if you're lazy like me, buy them pre-shredded.

Once cool, toss the noodles with the peppers, carrots, and sauce. Let sit in the fridge for one hour, allowing the noodles to soak up the sauce.

Just before serving top with sesame seeds.