I've been craving rice all week. I think it's because rice reminds me of South East Asia, and I am both reminiscing of the past and getting excited for the future. The last couple of days I have been doing some research into Peru, trying to plan our itinerary. So far, the list is as follows;1.
2. Wear sunscreen while on the beach, regardless of how pasty you feel
3. Don't get eaten by a Jaguar (not to be confused with Jag) in the rainforest
4. Don't crash while driving a scooter
5. Don't steel a llama, even if it's really cute
VEGETABLE STIR FRY WITH ORANGE SAUCE RECIPE
1 cup dry jasmine rice
1 small bag oriental mixed veggies (carrots, broccoli, onions, beans, bean sprouts)
2 cups veggie chicken or tofu
1 tbsp canola oil
1 1/2 cups water
2 tbsp orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp grated orange zest
1 cup tightly packed brown sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water to create a slurry
1. Cook 1 cup of dry rice and 1 1/2 cups of water in rice cooker until done.
2. While rice is cooking, fry the veggie chicken in canola oil until slightly brown. Add the veggies and cook for a couple more minutes.
3. While the rice and chicken are cooking, start the sauce. In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients minus the cornstarch, and bring to a boil. Next, reduce to a simmer and slowly add in the cornstarch slurry. You must continue to stir or the cornstarch will clump on the bottom of the pot. Once the sauce has thickened, you can add it to the veggie chicken and vegetable mixture. Serve on a bed of rice.